Stakeholders involved in ownership, transfer and development of sites which may be affected by contamination are exposed to a range of environmental liabilities, financial risk and uncertainty. Opus has a long history of providing pragmatic, site specific and technically robust contaminated land management consultancy services in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the UK.
Our contaminated land specialists are situated in local offices, providing a rapid and cost effective service to clients, but also benefit from our wider expertise which is shared between our teams across the world.
Adopting industry best practice, codes and legislation as appropriate to the local area of operation, we provide advice to landowners, developers, funders and other interested parties, identifying risk based solutions, managing risk and exposure, allowing protection of reputation and enhancement of business performance to allow maximisation of assets and asset values.
Our contaminated land teams are dedicated to a consistent approach to the identification, quantification, assessment and remediation of contaminated land hazards. We ensure that our technical advice remains at the forefront of legislation/guidance and industry best practice, uses the most up to date modelling tools and risk assessment methodologies, allowing a fully comprehensive assessment of contamination fate, transport and exposure.
Our core contaminated land management competencies include the following;
- Preliminary investigation – desk study, site reconnaissance and conceptual site model
- Intrusive investigation of soil and groundwater – exploratory, main and supplementary
- Quantitative risk assessment for human health and controlled waters
- Hydrogeological studies and modelling
- Ground gas risk assessment and mitigation
- Remediation options appraisal
- Remediation strategy and verification plan
- Procurement of remediation works and contract administration
- Supervision of remediation works, verification testing and reporting
- Ecological risk assessment for contaminated land
- Waste management and Environmental Permitting
- Acquisition / divestment / due diligence / compliance environmental audits
- Pollution incident response
- Expert witness / legal work
- Development and implementation of local and national Government policy
Our contaminated land specialists often work in multi-disciplinary teams with other Opus professionals, and Opus can offer various complementary services such as geotechnical engineering and site investigation.
The combination of all these competencies and complementary services ensures that Opus are able to offer our clients a range of options for managing their particular site issues in a timely, cost efficient and risk aware manner.